Happy times, sunshine, packing up to go to the beach, picnics in the park and having fun – does that sound like summer? These are the months that those in the gardening world have been working so hard for… it’s the time of year that we can sit back, relax and enjoy the beautiful colours and smells in our gardens.
Welcome to the Blog of Thorngrove Garden Centre, it’s so lovely to have you here!
OUR TOP THREE PLANTS FOR THE MONTH OF JULY;
DELPHINIUM: Otherwise known as a ‘larkspur’; this striking plant just so happens to be the birth flower for July which comes in a wide variety of colours and variations. They flower from late spring to late summer –the flowers may be short lived but whilst they are in bloom, you will be extremely thankful to the newest addition in your garden.
DAHLIAS: These beautiful flowers are considered to be one of the most spectacular additions to your garden, they come in a wide variety of colours and sizes. They enjoy cooler temperatures so these are a great way to add some colour in the shaded areas of your garden.
GERBERA’S: Commonly known for their bright and cheerful daisy-like appearance. Gerbera’s can be susceptible to fungal diseases so correct planting and watering is essential for the care of these wonderful flowers. Keep them planted with plenty of space in the shade with a daily dose of sunshine.
We put just as much love into growing our plants as we do serving our customers; we pride ourselves on the fact that we are able to grow a vast majority of our plants on site. Our horticultural expert’s plants are grown to their best ability – alongside our Employ My Ability service users. We promise nothing but quality.
TOP TIPS FROM THORNGROVE: Vegetable care!
You’ve put in the hard work when it comes to growing your vegetables and the excitement may have worn off but just remember, this time of year is the perfect time to enjoy your hard work…
MAXIMISE PLANTING IN YOUR GARDEN AND TRANSFORM YOUR EMPTY SPACES:
YOU WILL NEED:
✓ Modular living wall planters
✓ Potting compost
✓ Water retaining granules
✓ Selection of young plants
HOW TO CREATE YOUR WALL:
- Firstly, prepare the wall space you want to use and make sure you have a solid surface to attach your green wall planters to.
- Once you know where you will be positioning your planters, measure up and select your living wall system. You can choose from felt or recycled plastic pockets, to more rigid wall planters and troughs.
- Now for the fun part, choose your plants! If you can, go for younger plants or even plugs as these will adapt to the conditions far better than more established plants. Think about your design and create the vision you have developed.
- Put up your wall as you wish – we recommend following manufacturers instructions for the installation.
- Add some compost mixed with water retaining granules to help prevent your new plants drying out too quickly as they settle in. Add your plants, fill in and around the gaps with more compost and firm in well.
- Once everything is planted and up to its final position on the wall, water it regularly to ensure growth from your plants.
- Finally, take a few steps back and admire the contemporary garden that you have created!