Plant of the month – Camellias
Camellias are a genus of flowering plants in the family Theaceae.
- They are found in Eastern and Southern Asia. From the Himalayas east to Japan and Indonesia.
- Camellias are evergreen and Hardy, they like Ericaceous soil so make very good container plants.
- They like Full Sun to Partial shade
- There leaves are glossy and dark green and the flowers come in a range of colours from Pink, Red, White and bicolour.
- If grown in pots you will need to feed them with an ericaceous feed this is done in the Spring. Also during the Summer you need to keep them well watered as this is when they produce next years flower buds.
- Prune after flowering if necessary.
- Best time for planting is either Autumn or Spring.
Here at Thorngrove we have a wonderful selection of Camellias so why not pop along and buy one – they also make a great gift!